Saturday, November 3, 2012

President or Vampire hunter??

I really enjoyed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Graham- Smith! I've been on a vampire kick lately ever since I started watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix so my post may be a little biased (I'm obsessed addicted!).  I love historical fiction and this had a little twist. I love the idea of a president as a vampire hunter...that's cool! The book begins with Abe as a small child losing his mother. Come to find out, his mother was poisoned with vampire blood, which resulted in her death. Lincoln ends up killing the vampire that killed his mother and decides to kill all the vampires in America. He begins "training" and hunting vampires throughout the North. The book goes through his whole life including his presidency. Grahame- Smith links slavery with vampires. I don't want to give anything away but it's really interesting. I loved the history part of the book and the vampire part. Now, I want to do some research on Lincoln. It's been a long time since I learned about his life/presidency. But I wonder if he really believed in vampires..if there's documentation of his fear from which this book is based. When I come up with something I'll definitely blog it. I would recommend this as a good read. Lots of history, humor and the new fad: vampires! 

Up next... 
Wild Ride by Jennifer Cruise and Bob Mayer. I found this on sale at Barnes and Noble and was intrigued. More supernatural fiction (told you I was obsessed addicted!). Mary Alice Brannigan doesn't believe in anything supernatural. Nor does she expect Dreamland, a amusement park she's restoring, to be a prison for the five Untouchables, the most powerful demons in the world. Plus she's falling for a guy but something isn't quite right with him. But that's not all, Brannigan is also coping with a crooked politician, supernatural raven, a secret government agency, an inexperienced sorceress, an unsettling inheritance and mind-blogging revelations from her past. Personal demons wreck her relationship and real demons wreck the park, Brannigan faces evil and what everyone who's been to the amusement park knows: the last ride is the wildest. I like the idea of demons for this book because I watch Supernatural on the CW and have since I was a freshman in college. It's based on ALL things that go bump in the night, but mostly evil demons. I'm sure you'll be surprised to know that I was a HUGE fan of Charmed also. Don't worry I do like other shows besides the supernatural ones but I find these the most addicting :)

Louisiana Book Festival 
It was a success! I had so much fun! There were tons of vendors and authors and so much to do. The State Capitol and LSU museum were open and held some events. There were tents from Barnes and Noble and BN Jr. They had pumpkin painting and tons of food. I bought Pulse and Prejudice and All My Tomorrows by Colette L. Saucier and had them autographed by the author herself! Pretty cool. Pulse and Prejudice is based on Pride and Prejudice with a vampire twist (I know what you're thinking). All My Tomorrows is about a screenwriter who's had a horrible year and begun reading a terrible book. As a scandal breaks lose, she has to decide whether or not to write the actor out of the part. For some reason, I love reading books about people who love ready. Like The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, the whole family loved reading. Saucier is a local author and is working on a sequel to Pulse and Prejudice based in antebellum New Orleans. She was really cool and wrote sweet things in both books. John Corey Whaley, author of Where Things Come Back, was there and had a book signing in the BN Jr. tent but I missed it because it was later in the day :(. I was disappointed, it would have been cool to meet him! I can't wait for it again next year! 

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read Abe Lincoln book! It sounds intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete