Friday, October 26, 2012

Connelly...A++

Now that I finished A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly, I can't remember why I even hesitated reading this one! I think this was one of my favorites and I think it's because it wasn't in Harry Bosch's POV. We finally see that Bosch actually has a heart! He's usual just a hard ass putting away the bad guys but we get to see other people's opinions of him. As Terry McCaleb investigates Bosch as a murder suspect of a case, we get to see the good side of Harry and his emotions. I really like Terry McCaleb's character. This is the first book I've read with him and he's a strong character. His profiling skills are equivalent to Bosch's detective skills. McCaleb begins unravelling clues that all lead to Bosch for murder. We not only see the softer side of Bosch but we the potential of his dark side. Once McCaleb approaches Bosch, things start to get intense. In the middle of this, Bosch is at trial for investigation of a Hollywood producer suspected of murdering a young woman. This was a case that Bosch and his partners were called to a year before and the trial just begins. As Bosch testifies as a the lead investigator of the case, he is also having to defend himself out the courtroom. Every few chapters were in Bosch's POV and we learn about the trial. So it was 2 stories in one in 2 different characters POV. Definitely one of Connelly's best. He's one of my favorite authors and Harry is one of my favorite heros. I needed a break from WWII/Holocaust fiction so I chose Connelly as a distraction...worked like a charm! Connelly can't write anything bad. Check out any book by him and you won't be able to stop! 


Up next...
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. This is historical fiction with a little bit of a twist. Abe's mother dies of a fatal wound which he later learns is the result of a vampire. Young Lincoln sets out to avenge his mother's death and is led to the White House. Smith stumbles upon the Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. He uses this as a guide to reconstruct the true life story of Lincoln. He reveals the history behind the Civil War and the role vampires played. I think this is such a cool story line! I'm really excited to start this one! I've heard good things from a few different people so we shall see :)


Ps. ...
The Lousiana Book Festival is tomorrow (10/27) from 10-5 downtown Baton Rouge. Everyone should check it out! There's going to be over 100 authors, book signings, promotions, food and music. There's fun stuff for kids like a creative writing booth. I'm so excited, I've never been! I'll write a follow up and let yall know how awesome it was. Spread the word! 

No comments:

Post a Comment