Sunday, August 26, 2012

Trunk Music

I went to Barnes and Noble Thursday to find a good mystery book and to de-stress from the chaos of having to evacuate due to a wreck/spill on the interstate (#frustrating). I ended up getting Trunk Music (Harry Bosch series # 5) by Michael Connelly. It's been a few months since I've read my Michael Connelly books so I'm super excited about this one. This begins with Harry returning to work as a LAPD detective after an involuntary leave of absence. His first case back is a man, Tony Aliso, found stuffed into the trunk of his Rolls Royce. He took two bullets to the head- the kind of job wiseguys call "Trunk Music". Bosch begins unraveling pieces of Aliso's life from his Mob deals to his beautiful wife to a stripper in Vegas to a disgraced FBI agent who just happens to be Harry's ex-girlfriend. You do not have to read these books from the first one to understand the fifth one. Connelly usually catches you up in the first few chapters about what happened in past books. At first it's pretty vague about this ex-girlfriend he runs into in Vegas but you get the gist. Once Harry goes to Vegas to get the scoop on Aliso, it starts getting really good. I love Michael Connelly, he's my favorite crime writer. But the only thing I don't like about this book is the long chapters, when I say long I mean the first chapter is 94 pages :/ shesh! But other than that I'm hooked. His newest book, The Black Box (Harry Bosch series #16) comes out in November and I can't wait to pick that one up. 

When I discovered Michael Connelly, I read The Closers (#11) and it was awesome! For our senior English class in high school, our teacher let us pick books off the NY times best seller list for extra credit. I'm sure it's a shock that I LOVED this! So I picked The Closers. I didn't need to read the first 10 to understand this book. I started at #1 after than but have jumped to #12 and #13 and other random numbers. I guess I'm impatient lol. I think my favorite so far is Nine Dragons (#15). It was on sale at Barnes and Noble so I picked it up and couldn't put it down. None of his books are alike and they all keep you interested from page 1. Concrete Blond (#4) went into a lot of detail about his personal life, which none of the other books do and I found this one very interesting. You finally get to know a little more about Harry Bosch. I would definitely pick up any one of the Harry Bosch series if you're looking for a great crime writer with an suspenseful, captivating story!


I also picked up the new Cosmo, which I already read cover to cover and will most likely reread. I have to say I love Lucy Hale! I think we could be good friends ;) Check out her article in the new issue. The articles I found interesting/useful were 7 signs he isn't relationship ready (read this one!), 12 things to do before you get married, Signs he's secretly into you, and where'd my period go?. All were really good articles. I also got tons of make-up/skin care tips and a list of new products to try out soon! 


The second book I bought was Where Things Come Back by John Carey Whaley. This was in the young adult must read section and winner of the 2012 Michael L. Printz and William C. Morris awards. I decided on this because the Hunger Games was an amazing young adult trilogy so I wanted to see what else was recommended. I can't wait to start this one! 


Enjoy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment