Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Family Fang

Last night I finished The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson. This book reminded me a lot of The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. It's basically about the dynamic of a family. Sometimes I love to read just a good story without crazy drama or suspense. Wilson really paints a picture of this family and goes back into the past before the Fangs were married and when their children were little too. There's an unexpected event that happens in the middle, which effects the whole family that I didn't see coming. I love how weird and eccentric this family was. The book was so funny and the characters were quirky. At first I didn't think I was going to like the ending but Wilson really shows how passionate the Fangs are about performing art. In my personal opinion, I wouldn't call their performances "art", it's more of a game that they playing to get reactions from bystanders. For example (not giving anything away!), the Fangs go to the mall and Mrs. Fang steals candy at the store and the "art" of it is the reactions of the people in the store. Some of the stuff they came up with was CRAZY! which made it all the more interesting! If you're looking for an easy, funny read, this would be perfect. I'd definitely recommend it! 



Up next...


Next on my list is The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. This is his newest book out and saw it in Cosmo! (gotta love Cosmo!). The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measuring God's gift. He's banished to a cave where he listens to people asking for more days and years. Father Time is then released but with a mission: teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time. He returns to our world to help a teenager girl who wants to give up on life and a wealthy businessman who wants to live forever.  I love Mitch Albom's books. I read Tuesday's with Morrie in high school, which was based on his life, and LOVED it! He also wrote The Five People You Meet in Heaven, which was awesome. He hasn't written a book I haven't liked. This is such a different story line, not just a regular story with regular "human" characters. I can't wait to start it! Plus, it has such a pretty hardback cover and fancy paper :)

Have you read any of Mitch Albom's book? If so, which ones were your favs??


On a side note...

I'm moving apts and started boxing up my books. Three bookshelves is a lot to pack :/


Mostly books with some DVDs. Those boxes are going to be heavy! Thinking about investing in a 5- shelf book shelf. Don't think I'll have room for 3 different bookshelves. Maybe I should invest in a Nook?...nah...


2 comments:

  1. I freaking LOVED Tuesdays with Morrie (made me cry) and the Five People You Meet in Heaven. Those may have been the only two required summer reading books that I actually read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me cry too! Such a good book. He has a another new book based on his life when a minister asks him to write his eulogy. Sounded pretty good. The Time Keeper is such an easy reading. I read over 100 pages last night!

      Delete